The Skatepark Cabinet, in collaboration with the City of Des Moines, envision creating a world-class skatepark in central Des Moines, intended to provide safe, fun and challenging opportunities for skateboarders and spectators alike.
The skatepark plan was designed by renowned skateboarders Lance Mountain and Colby Carter of California Skateparks. Features include:
- 88,000 square feet of skate-able terrain, making it THE largest open park in the nation.
- A Promenade featuring multiple skate elements including an 80 foot long, 12 foot high, 4 foot wide. skate-able sculpture entitled “WOW.”
- Competitive Street and Park Courses.
- A 4-flat-4 stair set and a 15 stair with hand rails.
- A Snake Run, Junior Flow Bowl, and an Amoeba Pool.
- A large “spectator park” located along Second Avenue, overlooking the skatepark and the Des Moines river, featuring a switchback trail that gives access to the park from Second Avenue. The trail will also have multiple viewing points down to the skate park.
Great care has been taken to ensure the skatepark will enhance the area and be an attractive extension of the Principal Riverwalk.